Final 2050 Long Range Transportation Plan (LRTP)
MAPA’s 2050 Long Range Transportation Plan is a 30 year vision for the future of transportation in the Omaha-Council Bluffs region. The MAPA 2050 Long Range Transportation Plan is developed in harmony with Heartland 2050, ConnectGO, and the other planning initiatives undertaken in the region in recent years. As MAPA’s adopted regional vision, Heartland 2050 calls for purposefully probing the fundamental building blocks to community vibrancy.
Much of the analysis included in the plan was done through the Metropolitan Travel Improvement Study (MTIS). This comprehensive analysis of travel conditions in the metro area began in 2015 and was completed in November 2019. Documents from the three phases of this project can be found below.
To proactively address our region’s most pressing challenges and position the metro for continued economic growth, MAPA has partnered with the Greater Omaha Chamber and Metro Smart Cities to build a new regional transportation strategy– bringing diverse stakeholders together to guide the region’s investment. The goals guiding the ConnectGO strategy and this Long Range Transportation Plan are as follows:
Access to Opportunity
- Our multimodal transportation system will enable people to reach their preferred destinations in a reasonable amount of time, regardless of age, ability, or neighborhood
- We will maximize access to education, employment, and health care for people traveling by any mode
Talent Attraction and Retention
- Our transportation system will contribute to a quality of life that is appealing to local residents and attractive to people living elsewhere
- Greater Omaha will support a diverse range of lifestyles by offering a variety of enjoyable neighborhoods, from rural to urban
Economic Growth Throughout the Region
- Our transportation system will help us all prosper as individuals, as communities, and as a region.
- Our transportation system will safely and reliably move freight, as well as people
- We will catalyze higher value real estate development and neighborhood revitalization through strategic infrastructure investment
Stewardship of the Transportation System
- We will take pride in the condition of our existing transportation infrastructure, prioritizing its maintenance and rehabilitation
- We will account for long-term operations and maintenance costs when planning for future projects
View chapters here: https://mapacog.org/reports/lrtp-2050/